Friday, November 26, 2010

Nail shaping tutorial (square tips)

I am so so so sorry for not blogging for so long. I've moved houses recently and I will continue to be internet-less for another week, if I'm lucky. I'm camping out at my mum's shop right now, stealing her internet. I promise that once I get my internet back, I will try to blog more tutorials!

This tutorial was requested by Christie months ago. I'm really sorry that it's taken so long to be uploaded. This is only for square or square-oval tips.

So let's get started! Before I cut my nails, I like to take my nail polish off and take a shower. It is very important to soak your nails so that they are soft and malleable. This will make cutting a lot easier as your nails will not resist the force as much (Newton's 3rd Law). I've actually cracked my nail once because I was cutting them when they were not soaked prior. So always soak your nails! I am starting to sound like a broken tape recorder. Now gather your equipments. Not much, just nail clippers and a nail file.
Get your nails ready! My nails are already square because I've been rocking these since June, July. I don't think I'll be going back to round nails any time soon because I find that square nails look tidier (personal preference). But most importantly, square nails are structually stronger! My nails do break a lot less with square tips.
I actually don't know how often I cut my nails. Numerous people have asked me when I do cut my nails. I do it when I feel they are long enough to be broken (really depending on my mood and how daring I am). If your nails are normal-shaped (something that is not nature-defying like a square), then just cut along the lines that I've drawn. Make sure that you're cutting in a straight line. When your nails are dried, they will curve in naturally.
Tips on cutting: Work your way in from the sides, little by little. It doesn't matter is the edge is not completely even because it will be filed down. Don't try to cut off the whole nail in one go as this will bend the nail and may cause it to crack. Also leave 1mm more than your desired length because you will file off about 1mm. Here's what I mean by curving in naturally:
After your nails have been cut to the desired length, leave it to dry for a few minutes. I find that this makes filing easier. Now let's start filing! Always file in one direction, from one end to the other in one, firm stroke. Do not go back and for like a saw. Your nails are not like dead wood. They have feelings. If you love them, they will love you back. After filing you'll find that there are some excess left on the tip.
Brush the excess off and gently file perpendicular to the direction that you were filing before but this time at a tilt to clean up the edge. I hope you understand my dodgy diagram. You could also use the nail file to scrape around the inside of the nail to get rid off the pesky little bits that just refuse to come off. File around the corners too smooth out any sharp edges.
Dust off all excess and you're done!
Now you have square tips that are oh-so-chic! Feel free to ask me questions about my unnatural nail shape.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have such lovely natural nails!
Thanks for posting this, I might try out a new tip shape

Christie said...

Yayyyyy. So good to finally read another post, you're alive. =D Thank you!

Anne said...

Thanks, you'll grow to love them, Samispoon.
I'm so sorry for taking so long, Christie.

Lin@ said...

how to let your nails grow? How long does it take? :)))))))
Thanks for posting this!

MemiNature said...

So my nails actually naturally grow square shaped and long but the problem I always have is that they break once they get to the same length as your nails......... any suggestions (and I do use a strengthener on my nails).

Unknown said...

Love your nails and the square shape is very chic and fresh.

Anonymous said...

What do you feel about guys growlng long nails after thirty yrs of biting i have stopped its so great

shweta Khurmi said...

thanks for the detailed description..needed it badly! :)

Anonymous said...

@Lin@-Rub a Garlic on your nails(atleast thrice a week). It's smelly,but it sure will make your nails become stronger,thicker and healthier. ;)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much :-) anne love you...

Kikukat said...

Your nails are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Great nails do you think massaging your fingernails will stimulate growth and have you tried it

Anonymous said...

anne i want to ask you how can i stop biting my nails and your nails are so so so beutifaul i hope i will get nails jaut like yours

Anonymous said...

anne can you blease put your tips in video please just to make every thing mor clear i hope you will not despoint me please i'm begging you

Anonymous said...

For years I would bite my nails. Was introduced to Nail Life sold @ Sally's Beauty Supply and I now get daily. They look awesome

Anonymous said...

Thnkz..:-)

Anonymous said...

you have very nice nails but why are they yellow? i have seen other peoples nails with almond nails and they are yellow. i have almond nails and people tend to like my nails and often think they are fake and look so professional (when i paint them). the tips of my nails are not yellow though but i have seen certain people with yellow tips. why is that. my tips are not yellow but naturally white and clear(not a single bit of yellow)even my mum has pretty almond nails and they are clean white. how come some people have yellow tips?