Monday, February 4, 2013

An explosion of dots somehow adds up to a fish

I've always wanted to try some sort of fish scale nail art and since my creative mind functions completely different to a normal person, I ended up with a whole bunch of dots vaguely resembling fish scales.

For the base, I used 2 coats of OPI Alpine Snow (Matte) that I've never managed to pull off on its own because it is just such a terrible polish with the worst consistency and streaky texture. But it came out reasonable after I whacked on a layer of OPI Funny Bunny, one of my all time favourites (as you can tell because it's half empty, I mean is that even possible for a polish junkie?).


And here comes the rest of the gang! A whole lot of Essies and a Milani, featuring (from left to right) Splash of Grenadine, Smokin' Hot, Lilacism, Mint Candy Apple, Mesmerize and finally, Key Lime Shine.


I started dotting in the colours from the base of my nail, working my way up to the tip. At first I blotted each colour onto a piece of paper and worked with a wooden skewer, wiping off after each dot. But then I realised that it is so much easier just blotting using the brush of the bottle.

And ta-da! The final result of my experiment process.

 


I still haven't decided if I actually like the result or not but the thumb seems to look better than the other fingers. It was definitely quite a messy process with 2 hours spent on dotting. But I can't wait to try it again with different sized dots and maybe colours that are only varied in shade. Hope this tickles your fancy.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

wow i love it my lovely...i find it so funny though that when i use alpine snow by opi i ALWAYS even it out with funny bunny to!!! great minds! great manicure Mimi loves it!! xxx

Deriniti said...

nice! i'm a new follower, would love if you would follow me back on my blog! : )

http://myprettynailz.blogspot.com

Jen from xoxoJen said...

How cute! I love the colors you used too! :)

Brooke said...

I think it is cute I think using similar color or coloring by spectrum would make it seem more like fish scales.

sattakingplaybazaar said...

satta king
play bazaar so good

logistics service in india said...

logistics services in india
supply chain management in india open now